in the morning

This morning I read and prayed the following prayer that was penned by John Calvin. What a great way to begin a new day!

My God, Father and Preserver, who in your goodness has watched over me in this past night and brought me to this day, grant that I may spend the day wholly in your service. Let me not think or say or do a single thing that is not in obedience to your will; but rather let all my actions be directed to your glory and the salvation of my brethren. Let me attempt nothing that is not pleasing to you; but rather let me seek happiness only in your grace and goodness. Grant also, that as I labour for the goods and clothing necessary for this life, I may constantly raise my mind upwards to the heavenly life which you promise to all your children. Amen.

John Calvin inspired the Protestant reformation in Geneva, governing both the religious and the political efforts of the city according to biblical principles. His daily prayers, which he composed for the ordinary people of Geneva, reflect his conviction that spiritual faith is worthless without practical application.

No comments: